Green Energy projects for Kids
To ensure a bright future for our youth, we must teach children about the important global benefits of renewable energy sources such as solar power! Take a look at our list of some solar projects you can work on with your kids. Do you have your own DIY solar project for kids? Please share with all and post your project in the comments!
This summer you can bring the feeling of the great outdoors to your very backyard without even traveling to the woods and building a campfire. This easy DIY solar power project will allow you and your children to enjoy the delicious marshmallow goodness of campfire S’Mores with a few simple steps and items that you have around your home.
Ages: 6 and up
- Large pizza box
- Pencil and ruler
- Craft knife
- Aluminum foil
- Glue stick
- Black construction paper
- Clear packing tape
- Clear plastic (we used 2 sheet protectors, available at office supply stores)
- Graham crackers, chocolate bars, and marshmallows
- Stick or dowel
How to Assemble Pizza Box S’More Oven
- First, draw a square on the pizza box top- one inch smaller than the outside edge all the way around.
- Next, use the craft knife (adults only) to cut along the drawn square edges, on three sides only. Fold the cardboard along the uncut line to form a flap.
- Glue aluminum foil with the shiny side facing the outside to the bottom of the flap. Try to keep the foil as wrinkle-free as possible.
- Once this is in place, glue another piece of foil to the inside-bottom of the pizza box. Tape black construction paper on top of the foil.
- Next, take the clear plastic and tape it to the underside of the box lid to seal the opening created by the flap. Try to create an airtight seal with the plastic, as this will trap the most heat.
- Finally, place your pizza box S’More oven in direct sunlight outdoors with the flap open toward the sun. You are now ready for the delicious S’More ingredients!
How To Make the S’Mores
- Place the graham crackers on the black construction paper; top with one piece of chocolate and one marshmallow. Close the box, and use a stick/dowel to prop the flap open to reflect sunlight into the box. Adjust accordingly to achieve better angles of reflection based on the sun’s position.
- The gooey results will occur in approximately one hour based on the temperature of the sun (shorter for a very hot day).
- Once optimal melting has occurred for your S’Mores; Eat and Enjoy!
- Be careful when handling the pizza box and the S’Mores as the foil may be very hot! Temperatures for the oven after 1 hour time can exceed 275 degrees.
You might also like
Snap Circuits Alternative Energy Kit, Green
Toy (Elenco Electronics Inc)
Green energy investment made by Verizon — Hydrogen Fuel News
The American telecommunications company has recently announced that it will be investing another $40 million into its green energy program, which will allow Verizon to grow its solar power market in five states.
Green Toys Tool Set, Pink
Toy (Green Toys)
Raw Revolution 100 Spirulina Dream Organic Live Food , 0.8 oz, 20- Count Bars.
Grocery (Raw Revolution)
Leviton C22-16509-Soft Green Glow Guide Light, Almond, Pack of 2
Home Improvement (Leviton)
Timberland Mad River 2 Strap Sandal (Toddler/Little Kid/Big kid),Grey/Green,9 M US Toddler
Shoes (Timberland Kids)